Post halloween haze.
Maybe you’ve indulged in too much candy or too much “grape juice” but this salad will help you get back on the right track! The cheesy crusted butternut squash wedges are hearty enough to make this a perfect chilly evening dinner option. The sweet butternut squash wrapped in a savoury and salty crust is absolute heaven! Topped with some creamy goat cheese and crunchy toasted almonds, it is the perfect combination of crunchy and soft textures! This healthy dinner recipe is quick to throw together, and will definitely please the whole fam!
- The crust may seem a little dry, this is what makes for a crunchy exterior when it is baked. To keep the coating from falling off, really pack it tightly around the squash wedges.
- If you are not a huge fan of butternut squash, or another type of squash went on sale, use that one instead. The only squash I wouldn’t use for this is spaghetti squash as it falls apart when baked.
- ½ butternut squash
- Spring Lettuce
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbl Thyme, chopped
- ¼ cup Goat cheese
- 1 tbl Parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tbl Olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 3 tbl white wine vinegar
- 1 minced garlic
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Prep your mise! Peel the butternut squash and cut the squash lengthwise. Discard the seeds with a spoon. Cut the butternut squash in 1 inch thick wedges (see picture for example). Place wedges on a parchment lined baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the coating ingredients; breadcrumbs, grated cheese, parsley, thyme and garlic and mix well.
- Brush the squash wedges, with olive oil then pack the coating onto the squash wedges on both sides. Returned coated wedges to the parchment paper. Bake for 1 hour, flipping halfway through.
- Meanwhile, make the salad dressing by combining all ingredients in a mason jar and give it a good shake!
- In a small saucepan, Toast almonds till golden brown. Set aside.
- Assembly time! Place lettuce in the base of the dish, place hot squash wedges on top of the lettuce then top with crumbled goat cheese and toasted almonds.