Alright this recipe comes in two parts; salted caramel and the apple crumble. I’ve been making this easy apple crumble for a long time and im seriosuly debating not sharing it with you…it’s that friggen good. It can be made in advance and baked during dinner for a hot and delicious dessert. The salted caramel can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for up to two week.
This is the perfect dessert to serve at Friends Friday or during the holiday season because it makes a TON! The soft and juicy apples are topped with a crunchy oat streusel and the entire dish is drizzled with salted caramel (yes my mouth is watering as I write this). By all means you can buy salted caramel to speed up the process however it will seriously not be as good. This salted caramel recipe is done by Riccardo and is absolutely heaven in your mouth…why fix something that ain’t broken?!
Caramel Fleur de Sel
- 1 cup sugar (250 ml)
- ¼ cup water (60 ml)
- ½ cup of 35% cream (125 ml)
- ½ tsp fleur de sel
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- In a small pot over medium heat, combine sugar and water. Do not mix, this is what makes the caramel smooth, trust me. Using a brush dipped in water, brush the edges of the pan to avoid crystallization.
- Once mixture turns golden brown, lower heat to simmer and add cream and salt and mix until smooth.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and add butter. Once combined let cool and transfer to an airtight container.
- 6 Cups Granny Smith Apples sliced
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbl flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbl lemon juice
Pecan Crisp Topping
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter chopped into pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Lightly spray a 9×13 inch casserole dish or baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cinnamon, ginger and 1/4 cup chopped pecans. Add apples and lemon juice and toss until evenly coated. Spread apples evenly in the dish.
- To make the crumb topping: In a medium sized bowl mix flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add the butter and break apart with fingers or a fork until becomes a crumb consistency. Stir in 1/4 cup pecans. Sprinkle streusel mixture on top of apples.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until apples are tender and top is lightly golden brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving and top apple crumble with salted caramel.